Learn More About Botox For Chronic Migraine

19 June 2015

30 Things About My Life With #Migraine Disease

AHMAisHope.org
What is it like to live my life with Migraine and Chronic Migraine? Since it is Migraine and Headache Awareness Month, this meme aims at answering that question and a lot more.  Here is a glimpse at how my disease affects my life:

1. My diagnosis is Migraine and Chronic Migraine.
2. My migraine attack frequency is 10-20 per month, depending on the season.
3. I was diagnosed in 1986.
4. My comorbid conditions include depression, anxiety, and fibromyalgia.
5. I take 0 medications/supplements each day for prevention and 4 medications/supplements to treat an acute attack.  I will be trying Botox again for prevention.
6. My first migraine attack was in 1986 when I was eight years old.
7. My most disabling migraine symptoms are head pain, photophobia, phonophobia, neck pain, and occasionally nausea.
8. My strangest migraine symptoms are tinnitus and droopy eyelid.
9. My biggest migraine triggers are weather/environmental factors, alcohol, MSG, nitrites/nitrates, loud noises, bright lights, strong odors/heavy scents to name a few.
10. I know a migraine attack is coming on when I get tinnitus, neck pain, strange food cravings.
11. The most frustrating part about having a migraine attack is not having adequate pain relief.
12. During a migraine attack, I worry most about whether I should go to urgent care or the ER knowing that the relief would be very temporary and a rebound headache would be the result of it.
13. When I think about migraine between attacks, I imagine how nice it would be to never have another migraine again.
14. When I tell someone I have migraine, the response is usually to offer up suggestions, cures, and treatments which drives me insane.
15. When someone tells me they have migraine, I show compassion and understanding, listen to his or her story, and only offer advice if it is asked of me.
16. When I see commercials about migraine treatments, I think "Been there, done that".
17. My best coping tools are rest, relaxation, ice packs, and mindfulness.
18. I find comfort in my family.
19. I get angry when people say to drink more water or exercise or to try whatever it is that "cured" their friend, cousin or co-worker who had migraines.
20. I like it when people say that they didn't know how serious and debilitating migraine is and are grateful for educating them about it.
21. Something kind someone can do for me during a migraine attack is provide dinner for my kids so that I don't have to worry about cooking or trying to order in and can just relax and sleep.
22. The best thing(s) a doctor has ever said to me about migraine is.... I'm still waiting on that.
23. The hardest thing to accept about having migraine is that it's not going to go away.
24. Migraine has taught me patience, understanding, forgiveness, and compassion.
25. The quotation, motto, mantra, or scripture that gets me through an attack is, 
“I know God won't give me anything I can't handle. I just wish he didn't trust me so much.” - Mother Teresa
26. If I could go back to the early days of my diagnosis, I would tell myself to not to be so angry.  It's not something you prefer to live with but you can find happiness within this life.
27. The people who support me most are my family, close friends and the migraine/chronic pain community.
28. The thing I most wish people understood about migraine is that is not a headache and is an extremely difficult disease to manage.
29. Migraine and Headache Awareness Month is important to me because it allows myself and others to educate others, shine a light on how little migraine research is funded, and chip away at the stigma around migraine and other headache disorders.
30. One more thing I’d like to say about life with migraine is although it is a life filled with pain, I have learned that the little things in life are what is important and to cherish and hold on to them.


To learn more about the Migraine and Headache Disorders Meme, visit The Daily Headache.  You can submit your own meme.  Just click on the link for the set of questions you wish to answer.  I encourage all of my readers to participate!

1 comment :

  1. I am so sorry you have to go through this, as a migraine sufferer myself I often get "the look" when I need to go home from work. I wish their was more honest and accurate information out there for non sufferers. It's extremely disheartening knowing that it's not going to go away, but you have a great outlook!

    Cynthia Bowers @ Bay Area TMJ & Sleep Center

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading! Comments are welcomed and encouraged. If you have any questions, you can submit them on the Contact Me page.

Stay Well!

Recent Comments

Recent Comments Widget