Learn More About Botox For Chronic Migraine

04 June 2012

Migraine Awareness Month #4: June Is Bustin' Out All Over!

What's the best tip you can offer others for having some summer fun despite Migraines?

Summer always means terrible Migraines for me and I have to make great adjustments in order to enjoy summer outings with the family.  The most important is to stay hydrated and drink plenty of water.  Dehydration can lead to a Migraine so it's wise to keep pushing fluids, especially if you sweat profusely like I do.  I can literally drink a pint of water in one minute on very hot days and sweat it out in the next five minutes.  Also, protecting your face and head from direct sunlight is a must.  Wear wide-brimmed hats, a visor and/or sunglasses (if the pressure from them doesn't give you a Migraine).  I have to be careful with certain hats and visors or I'll wind up with a Migraine from the vice grip they start to have on my head  I fair better with straw hats that sit loosely on my head.  I also like to keep lightweight washcloths on me that I can wet and keep on the back of my neck to help keep myself cool.  If at an amusement park, I always ask for some of the ice that the vendors keep the water bottles in and put it in my washcloth or small towel.  That helps loads too.  The other most important thing to do is pace yourself.  Don't try to take on too much at once and it's okay to take breaks to sit down and rest.  Find shady spots to sit and let your body tell you when it's ready to pick up and move again.  Also, remember to eat!!  You're not doing yourself any favors if you don't fuel your body!  Keep your pain medication handy just in case you wind up getting hit with a Migraine despite all of your efforts to divert one.  Sometimes they are just inevitable.  And use sunscreen!  No matter how much we Migrainuers try to avoid the sun we are still susceptible to sunburn.  These tips generally help to keep me as Migraine free as possible during the summer and hopefully will help you to enjoy those hot and humid days better too!


National Migraine Awareness Month is initiated by the National Headache Foundation. The Blogger's Challenge is initiated by www.FightingHeadacheDisorders.com.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading! Comments are welcomed and encouraged. If you have any questions, you can submit them on the Contact Me page.

Stay Well!

Recent Comments

Recent Comments Widget