Learn More About Botox For Chronic Migraine

22 June 2014

#MHAMBC Day 21 - Fake It Til You Make It

Our challenge prompt today is: 
Amy Cuddy - PopTech 2011 - Camden Maine USA
Amy Cuddy - PopTech 2011 - Camden Maine USA
(Photo credit: poptech)





Watch Amy Cuddy's TEDTalk video, which enlightens listeners to the possibility of making our dreams come true by changing what we do with our bodies, and write about how it can relate to your life with Headaches or Migraines.





Changing what I do with my body in order to change my mind and eventually my behavior when it comes to a life with Migraine is most certainly something in which I am not always good at.  There are times when I am really good at "faking it until I make it".  Then there are times when I feel absolutely defeated.  Making myself feel powerful is something that I do often before doing a lot of things.  I don't necessarily do power poses but I do say positive and reinforcing affirmations out loud in order to convince myself that I can do what I am about to do without failing or giving in to anxiety.

If I am having Migraine symptoms and am experiencing a lot of pain, it is important for me to remind myself that I am not my pain and that it does not control me.  Even in situations where I am at home in the bed and feeling sick, it is imperative that I fake it and pretend that I am in control although I really don't feel that way.  When I write, I often feel like my words aren't relevant or like I am not a very good writer.  That explains why my posts are so sparse, unless there's a blog challenge.  Even then, I struggle with whether I can pull it off and write something meaningful or find new ways to approach a subject.  

Honestly, I have been struggling a little with this particular challenge because I have been very preoccupied with preparing for my daughter's sweet sixteen, which was yesterday.  I also feel like I am running out of things to write about and it's been difficult for me with some prompts to find inspiration.  Today, I am very tired after yesterday's party and my sciatic nerve has been causing significant pain down my right side.  I don't feel very motivated to do much of anything, much less write.  I am two days behind right now on the challenge.  This is yesterday's and I haven't even started on today's prompt and it is 8:00 in the evening.

Ironically, before I even watched the video that this prompt is based on, I made myself believe that I could get it done and that I will have something valuable to say on both prompts.  I would have preferred to just sit and do nothing but I convinced myself that I can do it and do it well.  I think I did pretty well considering I just wanted to lay down and nurse this sciatic pain.  In my case, instead of power posing I sat down at my laptop and proceeded to tell myself that this is a piece of cake and that I am good at what I do.  Thus, boosting my confidence and ability to perform, in which I did.  I faked it until I made it.  This is something I do in so many different situations and scenarios in my life.  I will have to try doing the power poses for two minutes to see if it really makes a difference in my thinking.  Amy's idea reminds me very much of positive affirmations, which I like to use when I feel less powerful and very vulnerable.  Her's is another way of boosting your confidence in order to complete something you would normally feel inadequate doing.  Having this tool is important in anyone's Migraine toolkit.  There are numerous times when you must fake it in order to get through life.  It's not going to get rid of the Migraine or the pain, but it is helpful in order to avoid feeling defeated and powerless over them.  This does take practice but it is achievable.  

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading! Comments are welcomed and encouraged. If you have any questions, you can submit them on the Contact Me page.

Stay Well!

Recent Comments

Recent Comments Widget