Learn More About Botox For Chronic Migraine

07 June 2014

Migraine & Headache Awareness Month #7 - Change the Discussion. End the Stigma #MHAMBC

Our challenge prompt today is:
Many of us with Migraines and Headaches dream of changing how the world views our diagnosis.
Share what you've done to create change in how the world around you views Migraine disease and / or other headache disorders? What else would you do abut this if you could.

The Social Stigma
Image courtesy of www.txmorgv.com
My biggest dream when to comes to changing how the world views our diagnosis, is to eradicate the nasty and burdensome stigma that accompanies it.  All my life I have had the stigma of Migraine follow me like a shadow.  Constantly being dismissed as being "just a headache" as a child by classmates and teachers and other ignorant beings made living and coping with Migraine much more difficult.  Outside of my immediate family and a few aunts, uncles and cousins, I kept my struggle to myself and learned to get through each episode on my own.  I learned at an early age not to count on too many people to understand my disease or care about it.  To expect people to be concerned about something that is unseen and misrepresented was foolish.  Growing into adulthood, I kept the same expectations of others and never sought help from people when I could have used it.

It is beyond imperative that the misconceptions and wrong information about Migraine and Headaches be addressed, corrected, and the truth made visible and easily accessible to everyone globally.  For starters, the visibility that the Migraine and Headache community gets is bare bones.  If it wasn't for all the brave, selfless and committed patient advocates, we might be worse off.  We need more federal funding, better representation by our state, city and county legislators, better access to care, and more people in the public eye who suffer from Migraine and Headache disorders to speak up and out on our behalf.

I try and do my part by having this blog.  I know I'm not a regular blogger and don't post as often as I should, but when I do I make sure that what I write about makes a difference.  I make transparency a priority in order to show the truth of what Migraine looks like and how devastating and debilitating it is.  A neurological disease with no cure that is difficult to treat because no one has figured out the true pathology of Migraine and why they exist.  We need everyone to be angry (especially those who live with it) about how disadvantaged and mistreated people with Migraine and Headache disorders are.  But, that is not an easy thing to ask of those who are ostracized, dismissed, and discriminated against by family, friends, colleagues, and medical professionals.

The Migraine and Headache community lives in a world of catch 22's .  A double-edged sword is the bane of our existence.  You can't help but have a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" attitude a lot of the time.  But, on the same token, these are the most resilient people I have ever come across.  So I am positive that we will make the world sit up and take notice and finally act to better the lives of the millions who are affected by these disorders every day.  We have learned to not take "No" or "We can't help you anymore" as an answer.  At the end of the day, you must keep fighting for your health and happiness.  The journey is long and the struggle is prominent yet progress is made by forging on and never giving up.
Enhanced by Zemanta

1 comment :

  1. Thank you for writing this. A close friend of mine suffered horrible headaches for years. She was in high school when she first started getting them. At the time she was at a very challenging private school but a few months after they started she was not able to keep up so she had to be transferred to public school.

    Cynthia Bowers @ Bay Area TMJ & Sleep Center

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading! Comments are welcomed and encouraged. If you have any questions, you can submit them on the Contact Me page.

Stay Well!

Recent Comments

Recent Comments Widget